Global Apples Market
To obtain statistics on the global apple market by region, by retailer count, by size, and the average retail price by varietal and by region. To obtain the available route to market into China and India from Canada, to understand the regulatory hurdles in place and the cost, and the tariffs in place.
To determine if there are apple producers and countries available for reciprocal representation by a Canadian producer. To determine the US market retail (wholesale if available) prices and retail by region and by variety. To determine if the Convenience & Gas channel is big for apples in Canada and the US and how to price them there.
Apples Global Market Overview
China's Import Market
- There is an increase in demand for quality fruits from external markets.
- Polish apples are the most popular imported apples as they are of higher quality.
- The quality of apples harvested in China are not always good.
- As disposable income grows, more cities across China are beginning to show interest in high quality foods that would cost them slightly higher.
- In January 2018, China imported 483 thousand tons of fresh fruit. This was an 8% increase from the same period in 2017.
US Apple Production
- Apples made 8.4% of fresh fruit production in January 2019. The mid-west region saw the highest production volume.
- The top apple types in 2018-2019 were Gala, Fuji, Red Delicious, and Granny Smith.
- One in every four apples produced in the US is exported.
US' Import Market
- Only 5% of the apples consumed in the US are imported.
- Most imports happen during the low production times: "late season or before fall harvest."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.