Major Health Insurance Providers
To obtain a list of the 10 largest health insurance providers in the United States, along with data concerning their mental health claim payments.
Largest Health Insurers
- In total, there are more than 900 health insurance providers in the United States, but the market is dominated primarily by five major companies: Anthem, UnitedHealthcare, Humana, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC) and CVS Health Corporation.
- Combined, the above-named five companies represent 38 percent of the total market size.
- As of 2018, the following eight health insurers were the largest in the U.S. based both on number of customers and on revenue: UnitedHealth Group, Anthem, Aetna, Cigna, Humana, Centene, Molina Healthcare, and WellCare Health Plans.
- The membership numbers of these insurers ranged from 4.37 million at the low end to 49.5 million at the high end.
- Their revenues ranged from $16.9 million at the low end to $201 billion at the high end.
- As of 2019, the 10 largest health insurance companies in the United States - based on market share - were Anthem, United HealthCare Group, Humana, Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), CVS Health Corporation, Centene Corporation, WellCare, MCNA Insurance Company, Kaiser Permanente, and Molina Healthcare Inc.
- Between 2019 and 2024, the United States health insurance market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of 8.1 percent.
- "The leading 125 insurers in the United States accounted for about $713 billion, of which more than 60 percent came from top 25 health insurers."
- As of 2018, 36.7 percent of the United States population had public health insurance.
- A further 3.6 percent of the population was insured through military healthcare.
- Just under 10 percent of the United States population is uninsured.
- The health insurance market in the United States is expected to generate a revenue of $1 trillion in 2020.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.