2019 VR Investments
Provide an understanding of 2019 investments in the VR space, as well as any stats around historical growth, top funded VR startups of 2019, VCs investing in these firms, and geographical data on VR startups, to support an article
- In 2018, $2.8 billion was invested in VR globally.
- This represented a global decline in seed stage funding, with a third less seed-stage deals than in 2017 in the VR space.
- While there was limited data on total VR funding in 2019, one mid-year report noted that by May, there had been over $500 million invested in the VR space.
- A large potion of this was a $280 million investment in one company, NTT Docomo.
- The key growth areas for VR investment are gaming, location-based entertainment, next-generation reality capture, enterprise, and health care.
- There are currently approximately 550 companies in the VR landscape that have revenue.
- The US and China are the two most dominant players in the VR space.
- China is becoming a global leader in emerging technology part in due to government funding.
- China is projected to surpass the US in the VR space within the next several years, with $1 of every $5 of tech investment projected to be spent on VR by 2022.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Provide a list of 10 large VR investments from 2019 (over $50 million), as well as information on who invested in them/what VCs are making the largest VR investments
Provide a report on growth in the VR space in the past 5 years, including investment growth
Provide a more in depth breakdown of which countries/regions, including Europe, have dominance and funding in the VR space