Teens & Advertising
Provide more context on the type of advertising that resonates with teens, specifically around commercials.
Teens Commercial Preferences
- Many teens are watching commercials on digital platforms, instead of traditional TV. For example, "YouTube is the second most-preferred platform for watching video on TV screens among 18 to 34 year olds, after Netflix."
- Teens also view commercials on music sites like Pandora.
- Commercials that are emotional and/or humorous resonate best with teens.
- However, teens are still watching television, with 95% watching more than 20 hours per week.
Teen Marketing Best Practices
- The most important practice when marketing to teens is to ensure that the content is specifically relevant to teens, including with the latest trends.
- Teens are most likely to connect with content that they can communicate with, i.e. content that asks for their opinions, feedback, or encourages them to share with friends.
- When marketing to teens, companies should be aware that the preferences of teenagers change quickly, and as such the advertising copy will need to be continuously updated to stay relevant.
- Most teens are watching video content on their smartphones.
- Other avenues to engage with teens include movie theaters and video games.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Very limited information was found illustrating the preferences of teens in viewing commercials. In order to understand a bit more about this, we recommend further research to identify and describe 3-5 recent commercials that resonated with teens. For each commercial, we would provide what the company/product is, where the commercial aired, and what specifically about it resonated best with teens.
Additionally, we recommend further research to determine 5-7 best practices in marketing to teens.