Accreditation Programs for Hospitality School
Determine the top five best accreditation programs for a new hospitality school to launch in October 2019. The selected accreditation programs must be: globally recognized, able to be completed in 2-3 months, easy to complete, and allow the institution to issue certifications to their students. For each program, provide a brief description, how long it will take, what it will cost, and the pros/cons of the program.
Institute of Hospitality
- The Institute of Hospitality "provide[s] international recognition to global education providers for programmes of study at craft level through to senior management level." The institute reviews programs and evaluates them based on their "Management Standards."
- While the Institute of Hospitality does not publicly detail their accreditation program requirements on their website, instead requiring that programs contact them, we were able to obtain an accreditation report by the Institute of Hospitality for the blue Mountains International Hotel Management School.
- From this report, we determined that the "Institute of Hospitality has developed a framework of accreditation Level outcomes and accredits courses at six Levels from Craft to Senior Management." A more detailed description of the accreditation process is given on page ten of that report.
- The parts of the application required are: "Organisation Information on the background, status, ownership and regulatory authority applying to the provider.
Programme Information details on the aims, objectives, structure, content, methods of delivery and assessments used in meeting the desired outcomes of the programme.
Organisation Resources available for the delivery of the programme and in supporting students undertaking the programme.
Quality Management Systems used to assure, maintain and improve the quality of the programme.
Supporting Material to provide evidence to the PRP in support of the application."
Length of Process:
- We were unable to determine the cost of accreditation.
- The accreditation process is completed remotely, without any visits to the school/program being accredited, making the process faster and more cost-effective.
- The Institute of Hospitality has members in over 100 countries worldwide.
- "The Institute is recognised by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) in the United Kingdom as a benchmarking organisation for Hospitality, and related, subject standards."
- Institutions that become accredited are entered into the Institute of Hospitality's registrar as well as are able to use the Institutes logo.
- As no in-person review is conducted, some may see the accreditation as lacking or less rigorous.
- Programs must renew every five years, and sometimes even more frequently.
- We could not identify any accredited programs in the US.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.