Advertising Agency research
To obtain case studies of traditional advertising agencies that have changed their business model to Agency 2.0 to become both a traditional advertising agency and a business accelerator/developer.
R2C Group/She Scales
- R2C Group, founded in 1998 by Michelle Cardinal, is a women-led advertising agency for direct to consumer bands. It is based in Portland, Oregon.
- While at a conference featuring the 20 most successful female leaders in Portland, Cardinal was inundated with questions by other women leaders concerning navigating the advertising space. After returning from the conference, she met with Jane Crisan, R2C Group’s president and CCO and Bianca Reed, the agency’s senior director of client development to discuss what they could do to elevate women-owned businesses, especially in the direct to consumer space.
- SheScales was born out of that meeting. The accelerator was announced July 2019 and officially launched in August.
- The goal of the accelerator is to help empower female business leaders to scale their businesses. The R2C Group will provide creative expertise through marketing, brand strategy, and research to SheScales participants.
- To qualify for the accelerator program the business must: 1) have at least one female founder; 2) have a high-growth mentality; and 3) have a product or service available to be sold nationally.
- SheScales will start with 2-3 companies focused on the DTC space, however, other categories are being considered for the future. According to Cardinal, "We’re interested in the DTC space, but there are a lot of female founders doing some amazing things in femtech and heath and wellness."
- The accelerator will support businesses through audience targeting, performance media, creatives, and mentorships.
- In addition to their interest in SheScales, R2C Group has also partnered with The Initiative, an accelerator program for women in the cannabis industry.
Additional Advertising Agency Accelerators/Incubators
- The Y&R Agency founded Spark Plug, an innovation incubator offering startups access to branding, marketing, and design.
- R/GA Agency founded the R/GA Accelerator in 2013 out of its New York office. The accelerator program has now gone globa.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Our initial research found limited information regarding traditional advertising agencies that have started accelerator programs. However, we were able to identify 3. We propose further research into the programs by Y&R and R/GA to provide an overview of the accelerator history, business model, startup requirements, portfolio companies, and other relevant information regarding the accelerator.
In addition, we propose further research to identify 2 additional advertising agencies that have ventured into the accelerator space. For each, we will provide an overview of the accelerator history, business model, startup requirements, portfolio companies, and other relevant information regarding the accelerator.