Agricuture in Chile
To understand the agriculture industry in Chile (especially the aquaculture subsector), specifically the market size, the government & private investments in the sector, the top ten sub-sectors within agriculture in the country (including aquaculture, animals, and agriculture), the major constraints or climate-related situations the agriculture sector in Chile is facing, the number of private farms, the countries it is exporting its agricultural products to; with regards to aquaculture, the type of aquaculture products and specialties it produces, the number of aquaculture farms and the size of the farms, the annual aquaculture yields (in tons), earnings from export (income), how it compares to other countries that lead in aquaculture and its development progress, the constraints and problems in the aquaculture segment, and the top ten aquaculture farmers in Chile
Market Size Agriculture and Aquaculture
- According to data from the World Bank, in 2018 the sector agriculture, forestry, and fishing consisted of 3.643% of the country's GDP. In the same year, the country's GDP was $298.231 billion, therefore making its size $10.86 billion. The annual percentage of growth in the sector was 5.693%.
- Chile has a total area of 75,670,000 ha of which 74,353,200 ha is land. Of this area, 15,741,800 ha was used for agriculture in 2016.
- According to Research and Markets, "Chile has a relatively developed and diversified agriculture sector, with a leading position in the production and export of several key commodities, such as grapes, cherries, apples, berries, walnuts, poultry meat and salmon."
- According to the FAO, in 2018 Chile's total aquaculture production was 1,266,054 tons. Most of its aquaculture production comes from a marine environment (1,265,178 tons in 2018).
Summary of Findings
- During the initial hour of research, we focused on finding information on the agriculture and aquaculture market size.
- It might not be possible to find a breakdown of the agricultural sectors in order to determine the top 10 agricultural sub-sectors, therefore we propose to provide the most important agricultural products.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.