AirBnB: Social Impact
To conduct background research on Airbnb with a focus on its social impact, philanthropy, and advocacy efforts. This research will inform a podcast interview.
- In 2019, Airbnb launched a donations feature to support communities in times of need.
- This was aimed at supporting Airbnb's goal of housing 100,000 people who need temporary housing by 2022.
- Through the donations feature, hosts in the U.S. can donate part of their income. 100% of the contributions go to non-profit organizations that support housing needs.
- The donations tool is an easy and straightforward way that makes an impact by providing housing to people in their darkest hour
The Open Homes Program
- For more than five years, hosts have been opening their homes to people affected by disaster, conflict, and critical illness through the Open Homes program.
- Airbnb started the Open Homes program because cost is a barrier to accessing emergency housing.
- Up to 2019, the Open Homes program has helped more than 25,000 people who were in need of temporary housing.
- In 2019, Airbnb invested $20 million to grow the platform and add to the contributions made to nonprofit partners.
- Some organizations that leverage the Open Homes platform are Mercy Corps, the International Rescue Committee, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and All Hands and Hearts.
- The two initiatives (the donations feature and the Open Homes program) are linked because when free listings are not available in places of need, these organizations can leverage donations from hosts and Airbnb to ensure that their communities have a place to stay.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.