Augmented Reality Experiences
Determine what drives people to participate in physical, gamified experiences or augmented reality games like Pokemon Go.
- In 2016, there were more than 20 million daily users of the Pokemon Go app due to ease of access on a mobile device.
- The most common publicized driver for users to play augmented reality games like Pokemon Go has to do with fitness. Augmented reality allows players to immerse themselves in a semi-virtual world, while still interacting with the physical one.
- Parent's concern for fitness in children that liked to game is a driver for allowing their young children to play AR games that allow them to interact with objects in their house or go on walks/bike rides.
- In addition to fitness, social interaction is another driver for players in the AR world. There are many opportunities to meet new people through interacting during gameplay as well as through social media groups.
- In addition, the implementation of community days in Pokemon Go where people come together for a few hours once a month to hunt a specific Pokemon with a high chance of it being "shiny" has further integrated the social aspect of the game.
- While nostalgia seems to play a part in the initial driver for adults downloading the game, making friends and finding like-minded individuals is one of the main reasons Pokemon Go has remained sustainable.
- A paywalled stud by Science Direct analyses the drivers of Pokemon Go users through a thematic analysis.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.