Transarterial Embolization Market
To understand the products related to microsphere embolization for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Also, gather information about competing manufacturers, pricing information, market share, consumer market size, and market projections in the USA and globally. Also, discuss key results from clinical trials comparing efficacy and survival rates amongst various embolization products tested; to gain an understanding of which product manufacturer holds the greater market share.
This preliminary research was aimed at identifying key aspects related to the embolization microsphere products and therapies, pricing information, and overview of market research. Detailed research shall provide an in-depth analysis of the research goals. Please note that this is a research strategy document that outlines a research plan for detailed research if approved by the client. Please refer to the research scope
1. Trans-arterial embolization (TAE) or Bland Embolization: A thin, flexible tube (catheter) is inserted into the hepatic artery in the liver. Small particles (microspheres) are inserted into the artery which plugs off the artery, blocking the blood supply (carrying nutrients and oxygen) to the tumor for survival. 2. Trans-arterial chemoembolization (TACE): This procedure is used for large liver cancers that cannot be treated with surgery or ablation. It combines embolization (TAE) with chemotherapy (chemo). The procedure is similar to TAE, except that chemotherapy is delivered alongside embolization microspheres. 3. Drug-eluting bead chemoembolization (DEB-TACE): This procedure is based on TACE, except that the chemotherapy drug is delivered in tiny drug-eluting beads. The drug-eluting beads slowly release the chemotherapy in a localized tumor region, which increases the chances of cancer cells to die. The most commonly employed chemotherapeutic agents include mitomycin C, cisplatin, and doxorubicin. 4. Radioembolization (RE): A procedure that combines embolization with radiation therapy. Radioactive microspheres (isotope yttrium-90) are delivered to the localized tumor site by a similar TAE delivery phenomenon. The radioactive beads release small amounts of radiation to the tumor site for days to kill the cancer cells. This procedure is usually performed via SIRT using 90Y microspheres. - Details about Trans-arterial chemoembolization procedure, indications, the preparation involved, side-effects, pros, and cons can be accessed on the following blog post.
1. Gelfoam: indicated for temporary vascular occlusion, where re-canalization is needed after a short duration. 2. Microspheres (Embozene® and Embospheres®): indicated for more permanent vascular occlusion - A list of U.S. Embolic Market Products/Devices, including the manufacturer name, product name, type, and FDA approved indications is available here.
- Research on market pricing was not directly available online. Instead, the SIR-Spheres coding guide for January 2019 gave an insight about per session cost of microsphere administration which is detailed below. SIR-Spheres® Y-90 resin microspheres (by SIR TEX company) are based on the radioembolization procedure, indicated for unresectable metastatic liver tumors from primary colorectal cancer with adjuvant intra-hepatic artery chemotherapy (IHAC) of FUDR (Floxuridine).
- Since pricing for other manufacturers was not directly available. We reached out to some companies for getting a direct quotation, which appears to vary based on regions (states) in the USA, and the hospitals. This approach has been elaborated in the scoping section for future detailed research.
- The global Transcatheter Embolization and Occlusion Devices Market was estimated at USD 3,616.15 million in 2019, and projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.9% until 2024. Note that the market size includes the market for both embolization and occlusion devices.
- Key players include: Medtronic plc, Stryker Corporation
, Terumo Corporation, Abbott Laboratories, Boston Scientific Corporation
, Pfizer Inc., Cardinal Health
, DePuy Synthes
, Cook Medical
, and Sirtex Medical Limited.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.