Facebook Sustainability Efforts
To provide insights on Facebook's sustainability efforts, including specific sustainability efforts associated with FCS (Facilities, Culinary, and Service) and IDS (Data Center). This information will be used to inform a new business proposal.
- Their products "empower more than 2 billion people around the world to share ideas, offer support and make a difference."
- Their website messaging highlights the platform's support of community causes ($3 billion raised by their users for causes the user cares about), the ability to connect (over 1 billion stories shared daily), and the ability to bring together people who are physically distant (over 1 billion messages shared each day).
- Facebook is focused on numerous, wide-ranging sustainability efforts. They have a dedicated sustainability team who ensures their sustainability strategy is executed around the world.
- They recognize climate change as an urgent issue, with a focus on minimizing their energy, water, and emissions, addressing sustainability in their supply chain via environmental and workforce protections, and developing partnerships to drive sustainability solutions.
- Facebook has stated a commitment to a 75% reduction in their greenhouse gas footprint and 100% renewable energy by 2020, in an effort to combat climate change.
- Facebook uses a data-driven strategy in their sustainability efforts, leveraging key performance indicators (KPIs) and tracking metrics, to measure and reduce their energy usage, water usage and emissions impact.
- Facebook has a stated commitment to sustainable data centers.
- Their data center sustainability focus crosses multiple stages, from sustainability in design, sustainability in building data centers, and sustainability in operations.
- Their focus is on clean energy and efficiency in their data center sustainability strategy.
- Facebook data centers have received the highest level of certification by LEED for Data Centers, a program promoting certification in sustainable data center design and construction.
- Facebook has also leveraged technology in their data center sustainability efforts. In 2018, they announced they would be using State Point Liquid Cooling technology to allow more efficient and sustainable building and operation in specific markets.
- According to Facebook, their data centers are "80% more water efficient than average."
- Facebook CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has stated, "for our part, we’ve committed that every new data center we build will be supported by 100% renewable energy. Stopping climate change is something we can only do as a global community, and we have to act together before it’s too late.”
Facilities, Culinary, and Service
- Ensuring sustainable workplaces around the globe is a goal for Facebook.
- Facebook designs their facilities to ensure they are healthy and sustainable, leveraging natural energy sources (i.e., sunlight) to reduce energy usage.
- Facebook measures their sustainability performance against formal certification program standards (LEEDS, BREEAM, and Green Star to reduce their usage of water, energy, and materials in the design and construction process.
- Facebook's headquarter facility in Menlo Park, California, has achieved 100% renewable energy, through usage of solar panels installed on their roof
- Their headquarter location has also leveraged the "Blackwater Treatment System" to achieve efficiencies in water usage.
- Risk assessment models are used to optimize sustainability strategies for facilities that may be at greater risk for extreme weather and climate change.
Summary of Our Early Research Relevant To The Goals
- In this first hour of research, we uncovered a substantial amount of information surrounding Facebook's overall sustainability strategy, and strategies specifically related to data centers and facilities. In addition to their sustainability strategies, we also found information, with supporting data, around the impact of their efforts.
- We were unable to find sustainability information specific to the designation of the internal FCS team or information surrounding culinary services.
- Given Facebook's expansive sustainability efforts, we have likely only scratched the surface in terms of providing details surrounding their full sustainability strategy.
- Our recommendations are based on the information we were able to uncover in this first hour of research.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We recommend summarizing 3-5 sustainability case studies, which are highlighted by Facebook on their website. Each case study summary will include 1) a description of the situation 2) how Facebook addressed the issue, and 3) the impact of the solution (with any key metrics that are available). We will focus on case studies between 2018 and 2019.
We recommend providing 3-5 insights around partnerships or collaborations for Facebook that have driven their sustainability efforts forward. Insights may, but are not required to, include descriptions of specific partnerships, an overview of key non-profit sustainability partners, or sustainability-related insights associated with the Open Compute Project, a Facebook-driven technology effort to drive innovation across the technology industry.