To gain a better understanding of the oncology market including the major players, market size and projected growth.
- The market size of the oncology drug market in 2018 was $77.3 billion.
- The estimated CAGR through 2026 is estimated at 12.3%.
- Major drivers of growth include increasing levels of drug approval, emergence of biosimilar drugs, and increasing healthcare costs fueling the need for research and development into new drug alternatives.
- Mergers and acquisitions within the oncology market has been a growing trend over the last several years.
- There have been over 400 mergers and acquisitions between companies "in the gene therapy, immuno-oncology, microbiome and orphan drugs therapeutic space" in North American since 2014.
- Globally since 2014, there have been 2,882 deals in this space.
Top 10 Oncology Companies
The top 10 oncology drug companies based off of oncology department revenue are:
- Roche Holding AG: $25.659 billion.
- Celgene Corporation : $13.657 billion
- Novartis AG : $11.811 billion
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company : $10.312 billion
- Johnson & Johnson : $9.844 billion
- Merck & Co., Inc. : $8.243 billion
- Pfizer Inc. : $7.202 billion
- AstraZeneca PLC : $6.028 billion
- Eli Lilly : $4.260 billion
- AbbVie Inc. : $3.934 billion
- Roche is one of the largest biopharmaceutical companies in the world with drug developement in oncology, nueroscience, infectious disease, immunology, cardiovascular, ophthalmology, haemophilia, and respiratory.
- In terms of oncology, Roche's focus is on breast cancer, bladder cancer, cervical cancer, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, haematology, liver cancer, skin cancer, ovarian cancer, and renal cell carcinoma.
- In August 2019, the FDA approved Roche's Rozlytrek for use in patients with "ROS1-positive, metastatic non-small cell lung cancer and NTRK gene fusion-positive solid tumours."
- Drugs expected to be submitted for approval by Roche in 2020 include Idasanutlin, Kadcyla, Pertuzumab, Cotellic, Ipatasertib, and Tecentriq.
- Roche believes in partnering with other companies and scientists to expand research into oncology therapies. Some partnerships include BioNTech, Adaptive Biotechnologies, and Tusk Therapeutics.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.