Brand Diversity and Inclusion
To identify global brands that have successfully integrated diversity and inclusion into their marketing, leadership, product, or purpose.
GLOBAL BRANDS — MARKETING DIVERSITY/INCLUSION
- Nike's controversial ad featuring Colin Kaepernick, the NFL player who took a knee during the national anthem, has given the company a leg up in terms of its reputation as a company that values diversity and inclusion.
- The company saw a boost in free media exposure ($43 million worth) and its stock steadily rise (after an initial drop).
- The company also enjoyed a 31% bump in online sales after the Kaepernick ads.
- Nike's recent ads have also shown gender diversity with its "Dream With Us" series, featuring "members of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team, gymnast Gabrielle Douglas and 13-year-old soccer star Olivia Moultrie."
GLOBAL BRANDS — LEADERSHIP AND EMPLOYMENT DIVERSITY/INCLUSION
- DiversityInc offers a list of the top 50 companies in terms of diversity with the top ten including AT&T, Marriott, ADP, Hilton, Eli Lilly, Comcast NBCUniversal, Accenture, MasterCard, KPMG, and Abbott.
Toyota Motor North America
- Toyota comes in at #18 on the DiversityInc list.
- Agility PR provides a case study highlighting the company's diversity efforts.
- Toyota has two pillars as its foundation: "Respect for People and Continuous Improvement."
- Toyota is touted for its ethnically diverse leadership and workforce, its external "Diversity Advisory Board" for accountability, its support for veterans, its diverse supplier network, and its employee-led Business Partnering Groups.
- Toyota has received "12 consecutive perfect scores" on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Corporate Equality Index.
- The company's Diversity Report offers a deeper dive into Toyota's numerous diversity programs and recognitions.
- In terms of inclusion, Toyota has worked to ensure mobility for all through programs such as the Tupelo, Mississippi's first public transportation service, Tupelo Transit, and an industry-first "power-rotating lift-up passenger Auto Access Seat" for its Toyota Sienna to enable those with mobility issue to have transportation.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.