Brownsville, TX & BRO Airport
Detail the economic development and growth over the last 5 years of the BRO regional airport in order to demonstrate familiarity with the Brownsville market and provide visionary, forward-thinking strategies for sustainable growth for the BRO airport.
Brownsville, TX Economy
- The population of Brownsville, TX is currently estimated to be around 182,083, which is 0.0148% less than last year. Broken down by ethnicity, 93.9% are Hispanic/Latino, 4.8% are white, and 0.619% are Asian. About 86.4% speak a language other than English as their first language, but 80.6% are still U.S. citizens.
- The median age is only 30.3 years and the median household income is $35,636, a 4.03% increase from last year.
- The overall poverty rate in Brownsville, TX is currently at 31.4%, which is much higher than the national average of 13.4%. Broken down by age and gender, about 6.69% of males and 5.87% of females less than 5 years old are living in poverty. So are 7.95% of males and 7.53% of females between the ages of 6-11 and 7.3% of females between the ages of 35-44.
- Broken down by race, about 49.4% of Hispanics and 49.2% of whites are also living below the poverty line in Brownsville, TX.
- The most common jobs held by residents of Brownsville, TX include office/admin support (8,788 employees, sales (8,209 employees), education, training, and library (6,719 employees), management (4,540 employees), and food prep/serving (4,469 employees).
- The least held jobs by residents of Brownsville, TX are legal occupations (352 employees), architecture/engineering (343 employees), computer/math (275 employees), farming/fishing/forestry (233 employees), and life, physical, and social sciences (75 employees).
- The overall employment rate in Brownsville, TX grew by 1.7% between 2016 and 2017, with most people working in the sectors listed above.
- About 31.9% of the population in Brownsville, TX do not have health care coverage, 25.7% are covered via employers, 28.2% receive Medicaid, 6.54% have Medicare, 6.77% have non-group coverage, and 0.955% have military/VA coverage. The percent of residents uninsured decreased by 4.55% from 2016 to 2017.
BRO Regional Airport
- By the end of 2020, the Brownsville South Padre Island Interational Airport (BRO) is expected to finish construction on a new passenger terminal that will be more modern, functional, and efficient.
- The U.S. Economic Development Agency also granted the Department of Aviation in Brownsville, TX $1,000,000 for which they decided to build a new Air Cargo facility where companies will be able to store goods, thus creating additional jobs at the airport.
- The BRO offers advertising space in the airport via concourse lighted displays, flyers, and brochures for monthly and yearly fees ranging from $30-$475. According to the airport's advertising brochure, such ads can reach around 16,500 travelers and gain up to 200,000 impressions per month.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.