Canadian Wellness Industry
To gain a market size and understanding of the Canadian wellness industry.
- Euromonitor writes that consumers in Canada are increasingly turning to natural foods, favoring "clean" ingredients and foods lower in sugar. Organic food is also doing well, with millennials in particular for brands who also offer sustainability claims.
- Health and wellness is also growing as it becomes more available through mainstream channels.
- The Canadian Government report on the industry projects it will reach US$20.6 billion by 2022, up from $17.3 billion in 2017, representing a CAGR of 4.5%.
- The industry is largely fueled by the millennial and Gen Z demographics.
- As products grow more popular, economies of scale kick in driving prices down and therefore accessing an even wider customer base.
- Packaging trends include "images of fruit, avocado, honey and other natural products rich in nutrients are being used to suggest naturalness and pureness".
- Further, extremely detailed analysis is available in the report. However, it is focused almost exclusively on food.
- Industry experts write that, "the Health and Wellness industry encompasses all activities which promote physical and mental wellbeing: from yoga to healthy eating, personal care and beauty, nutrition and weight-loss, meditation, spa retreats, workplace wellness and wellness tourism". Therefore, we know that food is only one part of a much larger industry in Canada.
- Globally, the industry is worth an estimated $4.2 trillion. It is segmented into: personal care/beauty $1.083 trillion, food/nutrition $702 billion, wellness tourism $639 billion, fitness/mind/body $595 billion, preventative and personalized medicine $575 billion, traditional and complementary medicine $360 billion, wellness real estate $134 billion, spa economy $119 billion, thermal/mineral springs $56 billion and workplace wellness $48 billion (numbers do not add due to overlap in some segments, but it is small).
- Very roughly, we could use these figures to hypothesize a total Canadian market size. Globally, food/nutrition comprises around 16.7% of the total industry. If the Canadian food/nutrition wellness market is valued at $17.3 billion, this would give an estimated overall wellness market size of US$103.6 billion.
Summary of Findings As Relative to the Goals
- For the purposes of this research, we have assumed "wellness industry" in the broadest terms, encompassing multiple segments like nutrition, movement, spas, wellness tourism and complementary medicine.
- We were able to triangulate a figure of $103.6 billion for the size of the Canadian wellness industry. This was after an extensive search for pre-existing market data, after which we found that there is no publicly available market research that address the total market in this geography.
- We did not have time to address the goal of insights or case studies.
- Please select from one or more of the options provided below to continue this research.
PROPRIETARY RESEARCH AVAILABLE
- We found some proprietary research from one of our data partners which may be helpful:
- Health and Wellness in Canada (Euromonitor, $2,100)
- If you'd like us to purchase this report on your behalf, just let us know!
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.