CBD Beauty Product Perceptions
To understand consumer perception of CBD products in the beauty industry, specifically in lotions, lip balms, and specifically products that are more targeted to younger consumers, such as Gen Z, in order to create a strategy for a new line of CBD products.
During our preliminary research, we were able to identify some statistics and insights between 2018 and 2019 into the current state of consumer perception of CBD products in general, as well as CBD products in the beauty industry. Below is an overview of our early findings.
We looked at data/statistics globally. However, please let us know if you would like to focus on a specific geographical region, such as the U.S., global, or some other geographical region and we will be happy to adjust our research accordingly.
- A study conducted by kNOW Instant Insights found that adults in the age groups of 25-34 and 34-44, are the most aware of CBD-infused products, with 70-71% of them claiming to have some familiarity with them.
- In addition, those living in the Northeast were more aware of CBD-infused products than their Western counterparts.
- However, only 24% of respondents admitted to trying any CBD-infused products.
- 31% of men were likely to try CBD-infused products, whereas only 16% of women were likely to try them.
- In the same study, the respondents between the ages of 25-35 had the highest level of CBD-infused product use at 38%, followed by ages 35-44 at 31%.
- Only 29% of respondents aged 18-24 said they used CBD-infused products.
- The products that were the most commonly used by those who used CBD-infused products were oil extracts (48%), however, 29% of respondents use capsules/pills and lotions/creams/balms (25%).
- The most common health benefit that was associated with CBD-infused product use was pain relief (56%), followed by anti-anxiety (47%) and sleep-aid (34%).
- Between July 2017 and July 2018, social media conversations surrounding CBD in the U.S. beauty industry has seen a 200% year over year increase.
- A majority of these conversations are taking place on the west coast, near states that have legalized marijuana.
- Based on a 2019 research conducted by The Bench Marking Company based on TBC’s 2018 PinkReport™ The New Age of Naturals
additional research conducted in February 2019, consisting
of the insights of more than 7,000 women globally, Gen X is the most likely to try CBD beauty products (77%), followed by millennials (74%), Gen Z (68%), and Baby Boomers (60%).
- The most cited reason for being on-board with CBD beauty products is that its medicinal value is well-documented (56%).
- Additional reasons for being on-board include the perception that hemp/cannabis is a good for you ingredient (51%), it is full of vitamins and antioxidants (39%), it is good for sensitive skin (38%), positive product reviews (36% overall and 43% for Gen Z), and it is a potent cosmetic ingredient (35%).
- The most cited reason for being against CBD beauty products is not understanding the benefits of using BPC products with cannabis (47%).
- Other reasons against the products include consumers don’t think they are safe for my skin
(29%), consumers think the products they are currently using work well enough (25%), consumers believe its just hype (18%), consumers are afraid the products will make them high (14%).
- Based on the same research, the most common CBD beauty product that is being purchased by consumers is body skin cream (55%), followed by hand cream (42%), lip balm (40%), bath products (31%), facial skincare (27%), and skin treatments (25%).
- Popular brands in the CBD beauty industry include Hempz, Josie Maran, The Body Shop, and Kiehl's.
- Of those surveyed, 67% of women said that they would be willing to purchase cannabis-based beauty products from other countries.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Based on the availability of the information you are looking for, we suggest diving deeper with additional research following the steps below.
Additional research to uncover Gen Z specific consumer perceptions of CBD products in the beauty industry that is backed up by insights and statistics.
An overview of 2-3 case studies surrounding companies/brands in the beauty industry who have successfully marketed CBD products to Gen Z consumers. The overview will provide insights into how the company/brand marketed to Gen Z, and any metrics as to how they were successful.