To obtain relevant business insights on the top four contract development and manufacturing organizations (CDMOs) covering their business models, offerings, and key success factors.
- The company was established in 1879 to manufacture calcium carbide and acetylene, but it has grown to be a well-respected global company operating more than 100 sites around the world to provide biotech and specialty chemical expertise to various consumers along the healthcare continuum.
- It is the current global leader in the space with about 6.4% of the total market share. The company employs approximately 15,500 full-time employees worldwide.
- The company has built a long legacy of being one of the world’s leading suppliers to the pharmaceutical, biotech, and specialty ingredients markets. The firm offers a range of products and services relating to the pharmaceutical and biologics industries such as Drug Discovery, Bioprocess Systems, Endotoxin Detection, Informatics, Bioassay Services, Encapsulation, Stem Cells, Cell Culture Products, and a host of others.
Business Model & Success Factors
- The company aims to be the world’s leading, integrated, value-added solutions provider along the healthcare continuum. In so doing, the firm has been actively involved in several M&A deals comprising of acquisitions, exits, joint ventures, and other strategic investments. Since the turn of the millennium, Lonza has acquired 15 companies, exited 3, and set up joint ventures with 10.
The company broadly classifies its strategies in two broad categories:
- 1) expanding its presence and accelerating growth along the Healthcare Continuum in order to align itself with its long term goal of being closer to the patient and the end consumer.
- 2) tapping into the growing desire for disease prevention and treatment, healthful food, enhanced hygiene, personal well-being, and energy conservation. To achieve this, it plans to exploit the growing and aging population, fast-growing megacities, and specific growth of the middle class in BRIC and VISTA countries.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.