Chicago Crime Rates and Consequences
Determine whether crime rates are increasing or decreasing in Chicago through the years. The information will be used to enlighten several concerned public and private organizations.
CHICAGO'S HISTORICAL CRIMINAL REPUTATION
- Based on historical archives, Chicago became known as a haven of criminal activities even before Al Capone and the beer wars.
- The city's periodicals often feature news about incidents of "murder, rape, theft, arson," and other nefarious activities.
- The Chicago Tribune summarized the city's sentiments with this statement in 1840: " "the business of stealing horseflesh has been Reduced to a regular system."
- During the same year, the first hanging punishment was meted out.
- When the 1840s came to an end, it was observed that there is always a criminal organization running the city.
- The Democrat publication even stated that it is "getting to be a notorious fact that robbers, pickpockets, thimble-riggers, etc. are perfectly at home in our city.”
- The existence of various vices also cemented Chicago's notorious reputation.
- During the middle of the century, the city housed multiple gambling business locations that exceed the area of Philadelphia and New York on a per capita basis.
- The city's dark history further descended into chaos in the last years of the 1800s as the violence of labor conflicts hit the city.
- The Haymarket event further aggravated the city's lawless reputation.
- In the 1890s, the city's criminal nests brought about more criticisms as well as international visitors who wanted to partake of Chicago's forbidden vices.
- The 1920 murder of the vice king of the city, Jim Colosimo, started a new era in the city's history of violence.
- The violent rampage during the beer wars of 1924 to 1930 brought fame to Al Capone, Chicago's gangster poster boy.
- However, based on statistics, the city's crime statistics were not particularly high during the 1920s and 1930s.
- However, several observers noted that Chicago's crime rates are just the same as any other city in the country.
- The city's notorious reputation was just magnified due to the larger issues arising from a city that is experiencing rapid growth.
CONSEQUENCE OF HIGH CRIME RATES IN CHICAGO
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.