Chicago Gun Violence Statistics

Goals

To understand the reasons for gun violence in Chicago and why it is one of the leading cities that has tremendous gun violence, despite struct gun control laws. To prove a relation between the gun flows and the gun violence in the city.

Early Findings

  • About 40 percent of illegally used or possessed firearms recovered in Chicago from 2013 to 2016 came from dealers in Illinois. The remaining 60 percent came from states with less regulation over firearms. Indiana accounted for about 1 in 5 of these weapons, followed by Mississippi and Wisconsin.
  • Chicago has recorded fewer murders per capita than many other smaller U.S. cities. Chicago ranked 14th among cities with at least 100,000 people in 2017.
  • Chicago did have the highest actual number of homicides in the past few years. In 2016, there were 762 homicides. Last year, homicides dropped to 650.
  • Chicago passed a ban on handgun ownership in 1982. Those who'd already purchased and registered their handguns were allowed to keep them. In 2010, the ban was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court, and in 2013, Illinois became the last state in the nation to approve concealed carry.
  • From 2013 to 2016, almost 7,000 illegal guns were recovered each year in Chicago, according to the city's Gun Trace Report . In 2017, the total was 7,932, according to the Chicago police.

Proposed next steps:

You need to be the project owner to select a next step.