Coffee Sustainability/Social Responsibility Research
To understand (for the following six coffee brands: Segafredo Zanetti, Nespresso, Lavazza, Starbucks, Illy, and Union Hand Roasted Coffee), their sustainability and social responsibility efforts. Specifically to include their campaign messaging, any logos, and partnerships, campaign visuals, as well as any recent news about them that surround the topic of sustainability and social responsibility efforts. This would be looked at through a global lens.
- Lavazza's objective is to "create a continuous cycle in which product and process innovation, qualitative excellence and sustainability feed each other, thanks to the contribution of all the people who cooperate with us to improve, day after day, on the path to sustainable growth."
- In order to report on the company's social and environmental performance, Lavazza has published its Sustainability Report every year, since 2014. The latest one can be downloaded here.
- Lavazza's commitment to sustainability includes joining the UN global compact and global goals, partnering with Save the Children, and helping local communities.
- The Giuseppe e Pericle Lavazza Onlus Foundation, founded in 2004, promotes and implements economic, social and environmental sustainability projects, to support coffee producing communities around the world. Current projects include innovation against climate change, the business of becoming a business, and rebirth through coffee.
- Lavazza's messaging is "A passion for excellence that makes every cup a unique experience."
- Their values, as stated on their website are: "the history of Lavazza is that of a business which, for over 120 years, has pursued a company vision based on passion for work, for the product and the land in which it operates. These values have been ingrained in Lavazza’s DNA since its foundation in 1895, and upheld by four generations of entrepreneurs."
- Their innovation center houses a group of experts active in three areas: research and selection of raw materials for coffee, machines and systems, and materials and packaging.
- Lavazza has always been a company with an innovative approach to advertising. The brand image strategy applied during the years is an astute blend of traditional Italian comedy and fresh, state-of-the-art vision.
- An example of their advertising, available on their website, can be viewed here, and is from 2017. It is titled Ode to Coffee.
- VMLY&R Italy has created a new global campaign for Lavazza, taking the real Italian coffee brand around the world. The campaign, which can be viewed here, is currently planned for the UK, Ireland and Netherlands and in 2019 will be on air in the main European countries and Australia, then in the USA for 2020.
- The Lavazza logo can be viewed here.
- Lavazza and PepsiCo launched a ready-to-drink iced cappuccino in the U.K.in the summer of 2019, according to FoodBev Media. Although the partnership is releasing only one beverage this year, there are plans to release new drinks and tap into new additional markets in 2020.
- Italian coffee company Lavazza is the top food & beverage brand on the largest Corporate Responsibility report, ranked ninth amongst all companies. "Conducted annually by the leading provider of reputation measurement and management services, the results showcase the top 100 companies that are most successfully driving corporate responsibility initiatives worldwide. The ninth placement is a testament to Lavazza's growing commitment to global sustainability initiatives, as the brand previously owned the 32nd ranking in 2018."
Summary Of Our Early Findings Relevant To The Goals
- Our first hour of research was spent in two ways. To ascertain that there was publicly available data to answer the questions, and to provide the data for one company: Lavazza.
- For Lavazza, we provided their campaign messaging, logo, partnerships, campaign visuals, as well as any recent news (past 6-12 months) about them that surround the topic of sustainability and social responsibility efforts. In Lavazza's case there was no media mentions on the topic of sustainability and social responsibility efforts that did not come from their own media center. We did find one report concerning a partnership with PepsiCo concerning a launch of a ready-to-drink iced cappuccino in the U.K.in the summer of 2019 which we included as it did have an advertising slant to it and we thought it might be of interest.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the proposed scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.