Commerce Platforms for Marketplaces
To identify the strongest technology providers to small and medium size digital marketplaces of physical goods or services and to provide the information detailed below.
- An overview of each provider detailing the company size, revenue, sales, number of employees, number of customers (where available), product range, market capitalization or capital raised, markets and regions in which the provider is present, and any solutions provided to the marketplaces besides payments (e.g. accounting, analytics, product catalogs).
- Identification of established partnerships with other service providers or technology vendors.
- Identification and outline of promotional or marketing activities undertaken by the marketplace provider.
- Based on articles on isitwp.com, codeinwp.com, and TrustRadius.com, the strongest technology providers to small and medium digital marketplaces in addition to Mirakl and Spryker are Woo Commerce, Big Commerce, Shopify, Magento, CS-Cart, Sharetribe, and Kentico.
- Headquartered in Paris, France, Mirakl was founded in 2011 and offers a software as a service platform for marketplaces. Craft lists the total funding to date as $93 million from investors such as Greylock Partners, 83 North, Bain Capital, Felix Capital, and Elia.
- Spryker Systems is headquartered in Berlin, Germany and was founded in 2014. To date it has received $22 million in funding from One Peak Partners, Project A, BPO Capital GmbH & Co. KG, and Cherry Ventures.
- Founded in 2008 as WooThemes in Cape Town, South Africa, Woo Commerce changed its exclusive focus to eCommerce in 2017. Builtwith.com lists Woo Commerce as the most popular ecommerce platform with 26% of online stores.
- Founded in 2009, Big Commerce is headquartered in Austin, Texas. To date the company has received $200 million in funding.
- Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Shopify was founded in 2004. The company has 21% of usage distribution for ecommerce according to Builtwith.com.
- Magento was founded in 2008 and is headquartered in Campbell, California. To date the company has received $272.5 million in funding from investors such as eBay, Capital Group, and Hillhouse.
- CS-Cart was founded in 2005 and its customers from 170 countries have purchased over 35,000 copies of the shopping cart software.
- Sharetribe is headquartered in Helsinki, Finland and was founded in 2011.The company's clients include Heineken and Canon.
- Kentico is headquartered in Bedford, New Hampshire, and was founded in 2004. The company has over 25,000 websites with 1,000 digital partners in 100 countries.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.