To identify major competitors of Yosemite and develop a competitive landscape.
- In 2018, when much of Yosemite was closed, Trips to Discover published a list of alternatives places to visit for those who were interested in visiting Yosemite. This list included Lassen Volcanic National Park, Lake Tahoe, Calveras Big Trees State Park, Mono Lake, Giant Sequoia National Monument, Virginia City, Lake Shasta, and Point Reyes National Seashore.
- Recreation.gov has also published a list of alternatives to Yosemite Valley, which includes some lesser-known spots within Yosemite, but also some of Yosemite's major competitors. This list includes Lassen Volcanic National Park, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, and Stantislaus River Parks Campground.
- A third list of competitors to Yosemite, published by Where Traveler, includes Reno Nevada, Lake Tahoe, Truckee/Donner Pass, Mono Lake/Bodie/Mammoth Lakes, and Napa/Sonoma Valley.
- A list of the top attractions in California includes Yosemite along with the Golden Gate Bridge, Disneyland, Death Valley National Park, Big Sur, Lake Tahoe, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, Redwood National and State Parks, Joshua Tree National Park, Universal Studios Hollywood, Seaworld, Hearst Castle, Santa Catalina Island, and Channel Islands National Park.
- Activities available to Yosemite visitors are focused on the outdoors and include camping, hiking, wilderness backpacking, guided tours and educational nature programs.
- A review of the destinations found in the lists mentioned above revealed that Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, Lake Tahoe, and Redwood National and State Parks offer similar activities and are therefore the most likely major competitors to Yosemite.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.