Domestic Travel/Staycation Market
To provide an understanding of the local travel/staycation market in the U.S. and globally. This will include: the local travel/staycation market size in the U.S. and globally; the key players in local travel/staycation market in the U.S. and globally and their penetration of the market; the types of trips taken by local travelers (based on such factors as distance, trip length, distance traveled, form of transportation, companions, and familiarity with destination) and how they define these trips (such as escape, getaway, staycation); how typical local travel looks like for travelers (rare and big or frequent and short); motivations for local travel (why travel); and objectives for local travel (what to do on the trip).
- "Domestic tourism is tourism involving residents of one country traveling only within that country."
Global Domestic Travel Market Size
- According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, "domestic tourism is the key driver of the tourism sector globally."
- Domestic travel spending was expected to "grow by 3.5% in 2019 to $4,203.8 billion, and rise by 3.7% per annum to $6,031.9 billion in 2029."
- Domestic tourism represented 71.2% of all global tourism spend in 2018.
U.S. Domestic Travel Market Size
- "Domestic travelers spent $933 billion in 2018."
- "U.S. domestic travel increased 1.9% in 2018 to a total of 2.3 billion person-trips."
- "A person-trip is defined as one person on a trip away from home overnight in paid accommodations, or on a day or overnight trip to places 50 miles or more, one-way, away from home."
- "Domestic leisure travel increased 2.0% in 2018 to 1.8 billion person-trips," while domestic business travel "increased to 464 million person-trips." Domestic leisure travel and accounted for 80% of all U.S. domestic travel.
Traveler Preferences on Domestic Travel/Staycations
- "Travelers are ditching week-long summer vacations in favor of shorter, more frequent breaks, which means more business for local economies, especially when more people opt for staycations."
Summary of Findings
- In our first hour of research we were able to determine that information on the global and U.S. domestic/local travel/staycation market is available. We have used the industry accepted terminology of "domestic tourism/travel" in the research.
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address the stated goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.