Basic Research and Science
Gain a comprehensive analysis of basic research and basic science, including trends around basic research in the US and globally, funding trends, life science vs. other areas, definition, and key insights and challenges in the space
- Basic research is defined as the "systematic study directed toward greater knowledge or understanding of the fundamental aspects of phenomena and of observable facts without specific applications towards processes or products in mind".
Insights & Challenges
- Basic research funding is on the decline due to research having a greater dependence on corporate funding, which has an emphasis on potential profit and thus performance drives dollars invested.
- One source notes that basic research rarely meets the performance criteria of corporate-funded applied research projects.
- Basic research has declined at US universities, with funding dropping by $200 million between 2014 and 2017.
- Basic research funding only accounts for 40% of university research funding in the US.
- Scientists face challenges and bias towards applied science when selecting research, noting they often have to choose research that appeals to the public or to journals rather than 'pursuing the best questions and uncovering meaningful truths'.
- A key challenge is that applied science that increases market share is valued over pure research that pushes the frontiers of knowledge.
- Another source highlighted that federal support for research has stagnated in the last decade, leaving most funding in the hands of private interests.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Provide a report on 3-5 trends in basic research in the US or globally
Provide a report on 3-5 trends on basic research in the medical or life sciences space
Provide a report on 3-5 key innovations or news events in the basic research space, including breakthroughs, promising developments or funding, launches of new organizations or coalitions in the basic research space, or any changes in global policies advancing basic research