How many construction subcontractors exist in the US Today, and what is the revenue breakdown of the category (e.g., $1- $5M, $5M-$20M, and $20M+)?
- There is some difficulty establishing the current number of construction subcontractors in the US today, owing to a lack of available information online.
- The main reason for this, is that subcontractors are usually independent persons, or small businesses. There is a wide range of trades which are subcontracted out, such as for example, rough carpentry, framing, finish carpentry, bricklaying, plumbing, roofing, painting, electrical, excavating and HVAC. An NAHB (National Association of Home Builders) survey quizzed on how often they subcontracted 23 different jobs, including relatively niche trades such as security system and interior doors. The vast amount of different subcontracted work makes it difficult to find accurate figures on the number of workers from all the different trades.
- One of the most feasible approaches would be to infer the number of subcontractors from available industry statistics. There are over 700,000 construction companies in the US, and in 2018 there were reportedly 11.2 million construction workers. It is also estimated that 1 in 10 construction workers is an independent contractor.
- With regard to revenue, labor on a single-family homes is typically made up of 75% subcontractors. This is in contrast to the total figure for all construction, and suggests relatively smaller construction work requires significantly more contractors.
What are all existing software or technology, apps, and platforms being used by contractors and subcontractors to complete their pre-qualification processes as well as and assist with Requests for Proposals?
- Procore - construction project management software that handles all your projects, resources and financial from project planning to closeout. This platform connects every project contributor to solutions that Procore has built specifically for this industry—for the owner, for the GC, and for the specialty contractor. The Procore App Marketplace has over 150 partner solutions that integrate seamlessly with their platform, giving you the freedom to connect with what works best for you, even if Procore didn't build it. The ability to easily communicate across disparate teams makes it easier to work together by eliminating silos and establishing a single source of truth. It's how Procore's construction software gives your team access to everything they need to know to get their job done.
- Oracle Textura Pre-Qualification Management - Cloud Service which automates the pre-qualification process, enabling general contractors to efficiently and effectively manage risk in subcontractor pre-qualification programs.
- iSqFt - allows you to manage your bid process and streamline your vendor selection, project sharing and document distribution.
- Pantera Tools - project management software solution that has features that are tailored for your construction management needs like project collaboration, project scheduling, project templates, and more.
- Some others include - ConsensusDocs, TradeTapp, BidCentral, BidGenius, BidPlanroom, Building Radar, COMPASS by Bespoke Metrics, Construct Secure, Cube, Epitome eConstruct, FAST Builder Management System, GRIDVendor, myComply, and others.