Consumer-Facing Website Landing Page Best Practices
To identify best practices for consumer-facing financial/healthcare industry website landing pages from digital ads and the corresponding online purchase experience for the purposes of developing a website.
Preliminary research shows that information on best practices for financial/healthcare landing pages from digital ads is scarce; however, there are plenty of best practices for financial/healthcare website design and general best practices for landing pages.
FINANCIAL WEBSITE BEST PRACTICES
- Financial website landing pages should be "simple, professional, and easy to navigate."
- Site navigation for financial websites should align with the "problems and opportunities faced by your core user persona."
- Content should be authoritative and be a mix of "feature stories; informative visuals; curated third-party content; videos with tips and tools; and analysis on the issues and ideas driving the market."
- Images should be visually engaging and for financial websites be a "distinct shift away from generic stock photos, and towards images that speak to the lives people aim to create."
- Financial websites have found success with images that depict "people thriving at work, spending time with their families, and creating new experiences."
- Responsive design is critical for financial websites since more people are engaging with their financial providers from multiple platforms.
- Subtle calls to action are necessary to engage website visitors at the right time during their journey. As such, "maintaining a reasonable balance between the web content, design elements and visual calls to action is crucial to achieving a high conversion level."
- Customer service needs to be a priority, so having "quick and easy access to digital customer support" through a live chat or via highly visible contact information is crucial.
HEALTHCARE WEBSITE BEST PRACTICES
- The website landing page for a healthcare website must communicate a message that represents the brand and conveys the brand's position in the market.
- Due to the sheer volume of information that healthcare websites contain, it is critical that the site is easy to navigate.
- Stock photos should be used very carefully, if at all, since they could be used by numerous sites. Custom photography is a much better option because it will give visitors an authentic experience.
- Another critical aspect of a healthcare website is that its page load speed is optimal, "not only for the visitor’s experience but also because Google and the other search engines take loading speed into account when ranking your site, along with the on-page and off-page optimization."
- Content must contain patient-friendly language and not be too technical.
- In addition, actionable insights must be in language users can understand so they are able to take the desired action.
- There has been a shift recently to patient-centric website design in which healthcare companies realize that "patients do not have the same knowledge as medical professionals."
- Data visualization is important in healthcare website design because users need a way to understand complex information without assistance.
- As with financial websites, healthcare websites must be mobile friendly as "more than 50% of all web browsing in the world occurs on mobile devices."
- Websites need to be ADA compliant, which means they are "perceivable, operable, understandable, and robust."
LANDING PAGE BEST PRACTICES
- Ensure the offer is clear and that the customer feels "smart, appreciated, inspired, and excited."
- Landing pages should be simplified and focus on the offer and call to action.
- Contrasting colors are recommended to highlight the call to action.
- Keep the most important aspects of the landing page above the point where users have to scroll.
- Call to action buttons need to be straightforward so they do not confuse the user.
- Contact information should be on the landing page or should be only a link away from the landing page.
- Consistency between the ad the user clicked on and the message on the landing page is important and can have a major impact on conversion rates.
- Testimonials on the landing page can help convert undecided users.
- Exit pop-ups that appear when users try to leave the page can help increase conversion rates as well.
You need to be the project owner to select a next research path.