The goal is to determine statistics regarding how the COVID-19 virus is expected to impact the global economy as a whole, as well as specific industries such as travel and sports. The goal is also to find out how many people get information regarding the virus from social media.
- China's exports have fallen 17.2%.
- It has been estimated that COVID-19 will lower the global GDP from 2.9% to 2.4%.
- According to Oxford Economics, there could be a global loss of revenue of over $1 trillion due to COVID-19.
- Up to 50 million jobs could be cut globally in the travel and tourism industry.
- It is expected to take up to 10 months for the global travel industry to recover after the outbreak has ended.
- International travel is expected to be impacted by 25%, which is the same as losing three full months of travel.
- The International Air Transport Association has estimated that the virus will cost airlines anywhere from $63 billion to $113 billion in revenue.
Sports & Entertainment
- The NBA expects to lose "hundreds of millions" in revenue due to the virus.
- It is estimated that the global film industry will lose about $5 billion in revenue.
- Disney is losing about $481 million in revenue because of the virus.
- A report given to Forbes mentioned that on February 28, 6.7 million people mentioned the Coronavirus on social media. Most of the mentions were on Twitter.
- While not directly related to the virus, one survey shows that 43% of adults in the US rely on social media for current news.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.