Country Code Top Level Domains
To obtain a detailed overview of the county code Top Level Domains (ccTLD) for: Colombia (.CO),
Montenegro (.ME), Antigua (.AI), and British Indian Ocean Territory (.IO). The overview should include: the public launch date and brief history on the launch of the TLD; estimates on total domain registered and domain registrations in 2019; annual domain revenue estimates; details on the organization/company that manages the domain, and how it manages the domain; the pricing of the domains (premium vs generic) and wholesale pricing, where available; any restrictions on the domains registered/to be registered; and notable examples of the domain.
Country-Code Top-Level Domain: .IO
- The .IO domain is the ccTLD for the British Indian Ocean Territory, and was created in 1997.
- According to IANA, the ccTLD .IO manager is the Internet Computer Bureau Ltd
- There are over 270,000 .IO domains registered
- The .IO domain is "facing potential retirement," as the country it is derived from, the Chagos Archipelago, could soon no longer officially exist based on a UN ruling calling on the U.K. to end its administration of the island.
- The .IO domain registrations "bring in fees of $10 million each year, and the ccTLD has an overall value of around $50 million."
Country-Code Top-Level Domain: .CO
- The ccTLD .CO was delegated to represent Colombia in 1991, to the Universidad de los Andes.
- According to Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA), the current ccTLD. CO manager is: .CO Internet S.A.S.
- According to the Colombian Ministry of Technology, over 2.2 million .CO domains were registered as of October 2019
Country-Code Top-Level Domain: .AI
- The .AI domain is the ccTLD for Anguilla, and was originally introduced in 1995. In 2009 it was opened to persons or businesses outside Anguilla.
- According to IANA, the ccTLD .AI manager is the Government of Anguilla, through the Ministry of Infrastructure, Communications and Utilities.
Country-Code Top-Level Domain: .ME
- The .ME domain is the ccTLD allocated to Montenegro and was introduced in 2006.
- According to IANA, the ccTLD .ME manager is the Government of Montenegro, through the University of Montenegro, Faculty of Electrical Engineering.
Summary of Findings
- In this preliminary hour of research, we found that information on the .CO, .AI, .IO, and .ME ccTLDs is available in the public domain.
- We have provided a few insights on each domain, and suggest continued research to provide further details on these, as detailed below:
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.