County and City Government Market
To determine the market size of county and city government services in the US in order to evaluate the market potential.
- Local governments (cities, towns, counties and special purpose districts) in the US collected $1.6 trillion in revenue in 2016, the latest data available.
- Property, sales and other taxes are the biggest income generator for local governments, accounting for 41% of the total revenue generated. Property taxes alone accounts for 29.8% of all income, charges and miscellaneous account for 22.6%, while sales taxes account for 7.2% of all taxes.
- Counties in 45 states collect property taxes but they only keep a quarter of the taxes.
- Local government revenue in the US from all sources, including state government transfer averages $5,273 per person, however, this analysis relies on data from 2010.
- The money generated from speeding ticket every year in the US is about $6 billion. However, another estimate puts it at between $3.8 billion to $5.4 billion annually.
- Revenue from traffic offenses in Washington D.C in 2018 was $324 million.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
Based on the availability of data from our preliminary research, we recommend dedicating additional research to find the total revenue from traffic tickets in general every year in the US. We can also conduct research into the total revenue generated from traffic tickets in a specific state you are interested in in another request.