County and City Government Market
To determine the market size of county and city government services in the US in order to evaluate the market potential.
- Local governments (cities, towns, counties and special purpose districts) in the US collected $1.6 trillion in revenue in 2016, the latest data available.
- Property, sales and other taxes are the biggest income generator for local governments, accounting for 41% of the total revenue generated. Property taxes alone accounts for 29.8% of all income, charges and miscellaneous account for 22.6%, while sales taxes account for 7.2% of all taxes.
- Counties in 45 states collect property taxes but they only keep a quarter of the taxes.
- Local government revenue in the US from all sources, including state government transfer averages $5,273 per person, however, this analysis relies on data from 2010.
- The money generated from speeding ticket every year in the US is about $6 billion. However, another estimate puts it at between $3.8 billion to $5.4 billion annually.
- Revenue from traffic offenses in Washington D.C in 2018 was $324 million.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.