Market Size for Adult Local Classes for Creative Arts, and Fitness
To obtain the market size for adults taking local creative arts and fitness classes, including the number of f qualified (practicing or graduates) creative arts and fitness instructors in the market, globally and in the U.S. To also provide insights that prove (or dis-prove) the declining levels of in-person social contact in the last decade, and why this is so. This inform will be used in a pitch for business centered around increasing social experiences through in-person local classes focused on creativity and fitness.
Insights on the Global and U.S. Fitness Industry
- According to the International Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA) Global Report, the global fitness industry was valued at $94 billion in 2019. The Global Wellness Institute (GWI) estimates the industry at $108.6 billion.
- The industry grew to 183 million users in 2018 and this number is expected to reach 230 million in 2030.
- According to GWI, "3.7% of the world’s population are members of gyms or fitness studios, take independent fitness classes regularly, or work out in public facilities or on their own."
- Globally, 190 million people spend money on memberships/training at commercial gyms and studios that are in 258,000 locations across 211 countries, while 58 million participate in fitness classes at over 26,000 public and nonprofit venues that cost little or nothing.
- The U.S. health and fitness industry is estimated at $30 billion and "has been growing by at least 3 - 4% annually for the last ten years."
- 20% of American adults have a fitness club membership.
- In 2019, IHRSA observed that among the top 5 trends driving the growth of health clubs was the fact that clubs acted as social hubs for their communities.
- In another survey, group training/classes was one of the top two trends in the fitness industry in 2019. In group classes, participants are motivated to perform in engaging environment as they are taught and led by their instructors. Additionally, "people prefer larger group classes over smaller ones because they are an excellent way to socialize and compete with a broader audience."
Insights on Fitness Instructors
- There were 356,900 fitness trainers and instructors in the U.S. in 2018, and the employment levels are projected to grow by 13% from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations.
- In the U.K. there are 13,770 registered personal trainers in the U.K., 80% of whom work on a freelance basis.
Insights on Interest in Creative Arts in the U.S.
- Over 53% of American adults create or perform art, with singing and dancing being the most popular forms of artistic expression.
- 17% of Americans are learning art forms informally, while 9.5% are taking classes to learn an art form.
Summary of Findings
- During our first hour of preliminary research, we determined that information on the market size of the adult classes for fitness and creative arts may not readily available or clearly demarcated. However, there is information on the public domain about interest in adults in fitness and creative arts classes, especially in the U.S. We have provided some insights that show the over all market size of the fitness industry and the extent of adult participation. We also provided some insights on the interest in creative art classes by U.S. adults.
- We propose continuing with the research to give more time in search of the requested information, or to provide insights that give a clear picture of the interest and reach of the requested market, as detailed below:
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.