Biosecurity Threats: Homeland Security
To obtain a list of emerging threats to national security to know how a client in homeland security space will inform potential investments in technology.
- According to the "Homeland Security Digital Library", the top emerging threats include:
- "Chinese and Russian Global Expansion and Power Projection; Iranian and North Korean Military and Political Capability Developments; Foreign Governments’ Instability and Reduced Military Readiness; Terrorism and Rise of New Non-State Adversaries; Artificial Intelligence (AI), Autonomous and Unmanned Systems, Biotechnology, and other Emerging Technologies; Weapons of Mass Destruction and Cyber Weapons Proliferation; and Climate Change, Increased Migration, and Spread of Infectious Diseases."
- According to the Homeland Security website, potential biological threats to the Unites states aims at causing illness, death, fear, societal disruption, and economic damage.
- If the agricultural sector was attacked, it would affect the economy as it would affect the food supply, and may result in loss of life as well.
- Another form of attack would be communicable diseases that may be passed on from person to person or animal to animal. Some may not be communicable but are a direct attack on individuals.
- Threats may come into the country via the border. The US government has placed the necessary measures to prevent this from happening.
- Primary screening is carried out by Customs and Border Patrol staff followed by secondary screening of temperature measurements.
- Tertiary screening is carried out by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention personnel.
- This resource provides Homeland Security's action plan toward research.
- According to a former FBI laboratory forensic biologist and research leader for Biosecurity and Forensics at Virginia Tech, Randall Murch, there is increasing risk in the computerized systems of biomanufacturing, healthcare, agriculture and food systems in the US.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.