Data on VC Investments
Identify statistical data on recent returns on series C investments to help build content for a pitch deck for a new fund.
Average Returns for Series C Investments
- Patrick Mathieson, a venture investor at Toba Capital estimates that a "good" deal ROI for a Series C investment is 2.5 times the investment. He also notes that the target failure is about 25%.
- The VC blog VC Razor estimates that Series C returns are usually 3.3 times the investment.
- The average amount invested in Series C funding is around $50 million and the average equity stake is 15-30%.
Recent Series C Rounds
- KnowBe4, a cybersecurity training company, raised $50 million in a Series C round in March 2019.
- Lemonade, a full-stack insurance company, raised $120 million in its Series C round in December 2017.
- Offerpad, a residential real estate company, raised $565 million in a Series C round in March 2019.
- Chehaoduo, a consumer-to-consumer used car marketplace company, raised $980 million in Series C funding in October 2018.
- Zynga, One Kings Lane, and Gilt are startups that fell apart shortly after series C funding.
Other Relevant Information
- Lead investors at the Series C stage tend to be private equity firms and investment banks, which is unusual at earlier stages.
- Because of the type of investors typically involved in later stage funding, these rounds are sometimes labeled as "private equity."
- Some Series C investors include venture capital firms like New Enterprise Associates, Accel, Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, and Bessemer Venture Partners.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.