Physician Pain Points - Diabetes
To understand the pain points/frustrations that PCPs, endocrinologists, cardiologists, and nurse practitioners have when treating type 2 diabetes, and how they can be lessened
- SmartMeter surveyed 170 physicians who attended the American Association
of Diabetes Educators (AADE) event on the top pain points clinicians face when treating diabetes.
BETWEEN APPOINTMENT COMMUNICATION
- Ninety-three percent of the clinicians surveyed stated that patient communication between visits is a challenge when treating diabetes. Thirty-one percent of the doctors stated it is their top pain point.
- Having a diabetes web portal may help with communication.
- Clinicians and patients should have a discussion about electronic communications. Being upfront about how they feel about texts, email, video chat, and other forms of communication can pave the way to improve communication between appointments.
SHARING BLOOD GLUCOSE RESULTS
- There are several factors that impact doctors getting blood glucose results: 92% of doctors stated that having data available at the time of the patient appointment is a problem. One of the contributing factors to this is the complexity of devices.
- Allowing for remote-monitoring and having data be uploaded automatically are potential ways of mitigating the problem.
- Ninety-three percent of clinicians surveyed stated that teaching technology to patients takes too much time.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.