To get an understanding of the number of people that work in digital marketing (advertising), with a breakdown of the number that work in companies, agencies, and the number of freelancers.
After a thorough research through several industry reports, job posting agencies and government databases, we have established that information on the total number of people that work in digital marketing is not readily available. As such, a breakdown on the number of digital marketers by place of work was also not possible to attain. We were, however, able to gather a few useful statistics that could give some insight into the outlook for digital marketing-related jobs.
- According to Lasting Trends, by 2020, there will be 150,000 open jobs for digital marketers worldwide, a number that, according to them, will be bigger than the available workforrce at the time.
- In fact, there has been an ever lasting increase in the demand for digital-marketing related jobs.
- According to Burning Glass, in 2016, there were 174,141 digital-marketing focused job postings.
- According to Mondo, the demand for digital marketing professionals will rise by 38% in 2019.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics has also predicted that the number of advertising, promotions, and marketing managers employees will rise by 8% between 2018 and 2028 in the US alone while the number of market research analysts will rise by a staggering 20% in the same period.
- Moreover, according to the Digital Marketing Institute, 40% of marketing job openings require digital skills.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
As information on the total number of people that work in digital marketing is not readily available, we propose changing the direction of the research to analyzing 3-5 of the major factors that are driving the growth in digital marketing demand.
We also recommend providing a detailed analysis on how the demand for digital marketers will grow in the next 3-5 years, including the 2-3 job types that will have the biggest demand.