Consumer Insights: Gold Investing, Thailand
To understand the needs, drivers, and attitudes of gold investors in Thailand, reasons that personal investors choose gold, and the decision-making process of investing in gold. To understand how digitization is affecting investors, especially millennials, and whether millennials are moving away from the tradition of investing in gold.
- Assets Under Management by holding in Thailand:
- Mutual funds: 37% (58% fixed income fund; 21% equity fund; 8% mixed fund; and 13% alternative fund)
- Deposits: 25%
- Insurance: 22%
- Provident funds: 8%
- Private funds: 8%
- "Fixed income products are more common for investors in Thailand than they are in other countries. Because of sustained low interest rates, money market funds have become a favored substitute for traditional savings accounts."
- 71% Millennials HNWIs, typically entrepreneurs, "prioritize wealth
creation over wealth preservation."
- The millennial HNWI "relies primarily on family and friends when
it comes to making investment decisions."
- The millennial HNWI is digitally savvy and "digital financial services are relatively more
important to her" than other HNWIs.
- "Holding gold in Thailand is a traditional way of keeping savings. The main reason Thais buy gold though is as an investment."
- "Locals use physical gold as an investment and as well as ornament, and the metal is a popular gift for newborns and for weddings. Gold in Thailand is also seen as being something you should own if you want good luck."
- "In Thailand, the standard fineness of gold is 96.5% purity, commonly referred to as 23K, often bought in the form of jewelry, gold bars or coins."
- "Gold is one of the most popular choices for low-risk investment with a constant yield" as it never loses value and has a relatively stable price compared to other commodities and equities.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.