Dental Care Spend
To determine how much the average person spends on dental care each year including a breakdown for toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, and dental visits for the purposes of comparing the cost of dental care with the price of a subscription hair loss kit.
Preliminary research indicates that there is direct information on the average spend for dental visits in the U.S., but no directly available per spend data on toothpaste, mouthwash, and floss. However, the data may be available for triangulation as with toothpaste below.
OVERALL SPENDING ON DENTAL CARE
- In 2016, the per capita spend on dental care in the U.S. was $382. This encompassed the following:
- The per capita spend by private insurance companies was $178.
- The per capita out-of-pocket expense was $154.
- The per capita spend by CMS was $45.
- The per capita spend by "other" was $7.
- In 2019, the average spend on oral care products was $27.12.
- In 2018, the oral care market size in the U.S. was $8.2 billion.
- The average new patient at a dental office spends between $700 and $1,250 in the first year.
- The average patient spend on dental visits is $653 per year.
- In 2017, the U.S. oral care market size was $8.061 billion.
- Toothpaste represented 38% of the U.S. oral care market, meaning its market size was $3.06 billion ($8.061 billion x 0.38).
- In 2017, there were 325.15 million people in the U.S., which means they spent an average of $9.41 on toothpaste per year ($3.06 billion / 325.15 million).
- At an average cost of $4.18 per tube, this means the average American buys 2.25 tubes of toothpaste per year. ($9.41 / $4.18).
- The 2018 U.S. oral care market size was $8.2 billion. Assuming the market share for toothpaste was the same as in 2017, the market size for toothpaste in 2018 was about $3.12 billion ($8.2 billion x 0.38).
- In 2018, there were 327.17 million people in the U.S., which means they spent an average of $9.54 on toothpaste per year ($3.12 billion / 327.17 million).
- In addition to this public search, we scanned our proprietary research database of over 1 million sources and were unable to find any specific research reports that address your goals.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.