To develop an understanding of the relationship between cat owners and vets by researching about the nature of cat ownership around the world and whether/how owners take care of their cats by taking them to the vet.
Cat Ownership Around the World
- A survey in Chile revealed that 49.9% of the respondents had at least one cat. The average number of cats per household was 2.2.
- Russia has the highest number of cat owners in the world at 59%.
- In the U. S., cat owners account for 43% while in the UK, they account for 32%.
- Cats are less common in Asia. Japan and China have ownerships of 16% each.
- South Korea has the least cat ownership at 9%.
- The cat ownership populations in the following countries are:
- USA- 74,059,000.
- China- 53,100,000.
- Russia- 17,800,000
- Brazil- 12,466,000
- France- 11,480,000.
- Germany- 8,200,000.
- UK- 8,000,000
- Italy- 7,400,000.
- Ukraine- 7,350,000.
- Japan- 7,300,000
- Women are more likely to live with a cat (25% of men versus 22% of men have a cat).
Summary of Early Findings
- Our first hour of research focused on collecting different statistics surrounding cat ownership around the world and determining whether all the requested information was available, which it is.
- As requested, our geographical focus was global.
- Please select one or more of the options provided in the scoping section below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.
We are suggesting further research to determine the nature of cat ownership around the world. We will divide the geographical regions into North America, Latin America, Europe, and Asia. For each region, we will collect statistics and facts surrounding the ownership of pets including whether or how people take care of their cats by taking them to the vet. Please check this box if we should continue with this research.
We are also recommending research that provides 2-3 insights surrounding why cat ownership is booming or growing around the world. This will include a determination of whether cat ownership is increasing with statistics, the reasons why it is booming, and the identification of any factors or conditions that are making people keep or own more cats. If we determine that cat ownership is not booming, we will provide reasons for this. This will be a global focus. Please check this box if we should continue with this research.