Dog Purchasing: US
Identify the total number of dogs that are bought in the United States annually, historically, and the future forecast as well as the percentage purchased through commercial breeders.
Number of Dogs Purchased
- The estimated number of dogs owned as pets in the United States in 2016 was 77.8 million growing to 89.7 million in 2018, meaning that there were at least 11.9 million dogs acquired by pet owners in some way between 2016-2018 averaging 5.95 million per year.
- Approximately 48.5% of American households own at least one dog.
Percentage of Dogs Purchased By Method
- Adopted From Shelter:
- Taken in as strays:
- Dogs acquired by friends/family:
- Purchased from a pet store:
- Dogs purchased from a breeder:
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.