Echo AR Vetting
To vet information presented by Echo AR on competition, landscape, and market size within the global AR/VR industry.
Number of Software Developers Globally
- According to IDC, at the beginning of 2018, there were 22.30 million software developers in the world. On the other hand, Evans Data Corporation estimated that there were 23 million software developers globally in 2018.
- Additionally, Evans Data Corporation estimated that the number of software developers was projected to increase to 26.4 million by the end of 2019 and to 27.7 million by 2023.
Number of AR/VR Developers Globally
- According to VisionMobile’s State of the Developer Nation report, in 2017, 1 out of 3 developers have some level of involvement in AR/VR. However, only 21% of these developers considered themselves to be experts in either AR or VR.
- Applause reported that out of the 31% of global developers that were working in AR and VR in 2017, 80% identified themselves as VR hobbyists while 78% identified themselves as non-professionals in AR.
- By factoring in the total number of developers in the world in 2018 (23 million), the 31% of developers translate to 7.13 million developers.
- The programming languages that are popular with AR/VR are C#, C/C++, Visual Tools, Swift, Objective C, Kotlin, and Lua.
- In 2018, the number of active developers for these languages globally was 6.2 million, 5.4 million, 3.1 million, 2.3 million, 1.8 million, 1.4 million, and 700,000 respectively. This totals to 20.9 million developers that have the professional capabilities to develop AR/VR applications.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.