Continued research confirms that the number of electronic schematics designers in the world or even in the U.S. is not available, nor can it be triangulated with any reliability.
- There are 422,000 worldwide members of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the professional organization for electrical and electronic engineers.
- Members are located in 160 countries around the world.
- As of 2016, there were 324,600 electrical and electronics engineers in the U.S.
- As of 2018, there were 130,500 Electrical and electronics engineering technicians in the U.S.
- Employment for design engineers is expected to grow at a rate of 9% through 2026.
- Employment for electronics design engineers is expected to grow at a rate of 8.5% through 2026.
- In California, there are an estimated 28,300 electronics design engineers employed as of 2016.
- According to ESCO, the "UK electronics industry employs more than 850,000 engineers who design, develop and manufacture technical products that often change the world in which we live."
- There were 33,094 electrical engineering degrees awarded in the United States in 2016.
- A breakdown of engineering degrees by specialty for 2015 is available here.
- There are approximately 40 different engineering types, of which electronic engineering is one. The schools that offer electronic engineering can be searched to find the number of graduates.
- There does not appear to be any data on the number of OrCAD or KiCAD users.