Escape Room Game Apps - Competitive Landscape
To understand the competitive landscape of the escape the room game app at home market to launch an app in this category by identifying current escape room game apps on the market, their pricing, and their success as stated by any available metrics.
- There are different formats for escape the room games which can be played at home. These include printable and online combinations, fully online experiences, games that have their own apps and games that use third-party apps.
Escape Room Game Apps
- Escape Team is a digital-physical game that has its own app, called Escape Team.
- Escape Team users can print a copy of their mission, which is downloaded through the website.
- The Training Mission and Mission 1 are free. Further missions need to be purchased, at a price of $0.99 per mission.
- This app has been downloaded over 10,000 times on the Play Store, and it has a rating of 4.4 according to user reviews.
- Other escape room games with their own apps are Unlock!, which is a card game with a companion app, and Escape Room the Game, which is a companion for the board games Escape Room the Game and Escape Room the Game Virtual Reality.
Escape the Room Podcasts
- Escape this Podcast is an podcast in which guests play escape the room experiences while users of the app listen.
- Furthermore, these rooms are made available to listeners, which allows them to play them at home as well.
- The podcast and the room downloads are free. The podcast has been downloaded 282,069 times.
- Another podcast with an escape the room format is Escape the Room: Frequency.
Escape Rooms Using Third-Party Apps
- The Grimm Escape is an online escape room game created by Puzzle Break Room, a physical escape room facility, as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- It uses the Zoom app to connect its players, which can be in different parts of the world.
- Each player pays $25 for one hour of solving the escape the room online with their teammates.
- The company was able to bring approximately 50% of its employees back to work, and the game experiences are selling out 12 hours before they are set to take place.
- Another game that uses third-party apps is Escape Room in a Box, which has the option of using Amazon Alexa App to host the game.
Summary of Findings
- During our initial hour of research, we found that there are different formats through which escape rooms can be played at home with the use of apps. These include games with their own apps, podcast games, and games using a third-party app to host or enhance the experience.
- In total, we have identified seven escape the room games that can be played at home: Escape Team, Unlock!, Escape The Room the Game App, Escape this Podcast, Escape the Room: Frequency, The Grimm Escape, and Escape Room in a Box.
- We were able to provide pricing and success details for some of the games identified. This information could be found for the other games with further hours of research.
- As there was no geographic focus provided to us, we are assuming a global focus. If a more targeted approach is desired, for example, the United States, this would have to be clearly communicated to us in any reply.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.