Government Digital Transformation Initiatives
To obtain case studies of government digital transformation initiatives/projects that have been successful. This research would be used to discover potential initiatives and ways that governments can deliver services to citizens using technology.
United Kingdom: Government Digital Service (GDS)
- Since 2010, the United Kingdom government has earned a position as one of the most digitally advanced nations in the world. In 2011, it created the Government Digital Service (GDS) "as a digital [center] of excellence for [the] government." By 2012, the government launched GOV.UK.
- As 2014 came to an end, the UK government had replaced most agency and department websites. GOV.UK Verify, for instance, was created as a means for users to securely prove their identity online.
- In addition to this, the UK government launched two reusable components aimed at making "the job of delivering services across government easier and the user experience more consistent: GOV.UK Pay and Notify."
- The UK government has also invested significantly in people and skills, recruiting many digital specialists. The majority of these specialists work in departments.
- This government has also invested in improving the kind of training that is available to public servants. This has been done through initiatives like the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) Digital Academy, an initiative that has trained nearly 4,000 staff since its creation in 2014.
- So far, millions of UK "citizens now have the convenience of doing business with government from their home or on the move at a time of their choosing."
- Between April 2015 and March 2016, more than 33 million people paid taxes for their vehicles online, eliminating the need for paper records. Also, "93% of vehicle tax and drivers' transactions (about 200 million per year) were done online."
- Within this same period, more than 4 million people in the UK "applied for a driving license online and over 5.7 million people used the voter registration digital service, with a peak of 469,000 applications in one day."
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.