Electrical Load Growth
To get a statistical analysis of the de-carbonization goals and their mandates in CA, with a further detailed analysis of the electrical load growth fueled by transport electrification.
Our first round of research unveiled the following information:
- "By 2045, significant
electrification of the state’s economy combined with population and
economic growth will result in a 60% increase in electricity sales from
the grid and a 40% increase in peak load."
- "From 2030 to 2045, grid investments
of up to $75 billion will be required to
integrate bulk renewable generation
and storage and serve the load growth
associated with transportation and
- "Transportation electrification will increase
electric load by nearly 130 terawatt hours
(TWh) — representing more than one-third of
the grid-served load"
- "Building electrification will increase electric
load nearly 50 TWh by 2045 — representing almost 15% of the total 2045 grid load. "
- "Meanwhile, electric load from transportation electrification is likely to grow nearly tenfold between 2017 and 2030, potentially creating the need for additional energy resources."
- " Electric vehicle load growth is expected to increase rapidly as a result and is
targeted to make up a significant portion of SCE’s served customer load."
Summary of Findings
- Our first round of research was unable to provide direct values for the growth percentage of electric load in CA by 2020. We have located several reports citing the Southern California Edison, State Energy Commission, and several other reputable sources; however, none of them have provided explicit figures of growth of electric load in CA by 2020 that is fueled by transport electrification. While we were unable to locate the data, propose further research for answering the other parts of the research question.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.