Jurisdictions with Easy/Expedited Permitting Options
To determine whether or not the identified jurisdictions (i.e., jurisdictions that offer easy septic permits and expedited building permits) also offer the other corresponding permit, which in turn identifies such jurisdictions as preferred development targets.
The City of Columbus
- The city recently introduced a new expediting process for developers where they can, for a fee, pay for quicker turnaround on permits. According to the report, this new model has become popular, especially for retail spaces where a faster build-out lets them open a shop more quickly.
- The cost of reviewing a building plan is not disclosed on its website. However, a "simple plan" can be reviewed and granted an expedited permit the same day it was tendered. In a recent article, the Columbus Department Building and Zoning Services stated that such plans are examined immediately instead of in the required 30-day period.
- The jurisdiction currently offers expedited building permits to "qualifying companies." The program enables companies to obtain their land and building permits in as little as 15 days, as compared to the traditional permitting process, which can sometimes stretch on for three to four months.
Summary of Findings
- In our initial hour of research, we focused on determining the availability of expedited building permitting programs in Columbus City and Polk County.
- This information, along with a brief description of each program, has been presented in the attached spreadsheet.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.