US Crafting and Creative Industry
To identify 2-3 insights on the overall US crafting or creative industry.
- The total market size of the crafting industry was $36 billion in 2018.
- 62% of U.S. households participate in one crafting hobby.
- "16% of the crafters engage in one craft, while 39% participate in 2-4 and 45% are involved in 5 or more creative hobbies."
Arts and Culture Industry
- A 2015 report found that the "nonprofit arts and culture industry generated $166.3 billion of economic activity, with $63.8 billion in spending by arts and cultural organizations and an additional $102.5 billion in event-related expenditures by their audiences. This activity supported 4.6 million jobs and generated $27.5 billion in revenue to local, state, and federal governments."
- The report also notes that "the typical arts attendee spends $31.47 per person, per event, beyond the cost of admission. Nationally, total event-related spending was an estimated $102.5 billion during 2015. This spending supported 2.3 million jobs, provided $46.6 billion in household income, and generated $15.7 billion in total government revenue."
- Nonlocal attendees typically spend $47.57 when attending an arts event, which is more than what their local counterparts spend ($23.44).
- "Nationally, 673,656 businesses are involved in the creation or distribution of the arts, and they employ 3.48 million people and represents 4.01% of all U.S. businesses."
Millennials and Crafting
- The largest group of crafters are millennials between the ages of 18-and-34 years old at 41%, followed by those aged between 35-to-54 (36%), and 55 and older (23%).
- Younger millennial crafters have a preference for "painting and drawing, paper crafts, wood crafts, and home décor crafting."
- "Millennial parents are getting involved in kids' crafts as they see crafting as a way to bond with their children. They also recognize the benefits of their kids participating in these activities for creative development and hand-eye coordination.”
- Millennials are turning to crafting and creative hobbies because it gives them the power to personalize what they wear, carry, use, or gift,
Top Creative Hobbies in the US
- Edible Arts (17%)
- Painting and Drawing (16%)
- Kids Crafts (16%)
- Sewing and Fabric (11%)
- Paper Crafts (11%)
- JoAnne is a popular crafting store with more than 849 stores.
- It recently launched a concept store in which they included a "Creator’s Studio where experienced crafters and newbies can come to learn new skills, take classes, rent machines to finish projects and gather to share with friends and fellow crafters."
Share of Americans who shopped for home accessories at JoAnn Fabric and Craft in person in 2018
- For this hour, we tried identifying as much of the requested information as possible. We were able to identify some general insights on who participates in these activities, some statistics on popular crafting/creative hobbies, and typical spend for art-related events. Insights on how often people participate in these events or activities as well as how much they spend on classes did not appear available in this search.
- A report from 2015 was included as it had relevant or related content, however, a more recent report also did not appear available in this search.
- In the course of our research, we also came across some general insights on the music education industry as well as some insights on what Americans are saying about the arts, which might also be of interest.
- Feel free to add or select an option below.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.