Fact checking stats on esports and video games
To determine if the requested facts about eSports and video games are true by fact checking them with one or more sources for a Q&A in a podcast about eSports.
During our preliminary research we were able to fact check two out of the three facts provided completely. For the third fact, we were able to fact check certain insights, but not all of it. Below is an overview of our early findings.
- Games were indeed forecast to generate a revenue $137.9 billion in 2018. However, This number is not reflective of video games alone.
- While the number does include PC, browsers PC, downloaded PC, and console games, it also includes mobile, smartphone, and tablet games.
- Console games made up $34.6 billion of that generated revenue, downloaded PC games $28.6 billion, browser PC games $4.3 billion, and PC games $32.9 billion.
- Data released by the Entertainment Software Association and The NPD Group found that the video game market actually only reached a revenue of $43.8 billion.
- Avengers: Infinity War did well over $257 million at the worldwide box office. In fact, it is one of only four other movies to pass $2 billion at the worldwide box office, behind Avatar, Titanic, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Domestically, the movie grossed $678,815,482 at the box office.
- In 24 hours, GTA V sold 11.21 million units, which added up to $815.7 million in revenue.
- With the figures listed above, Guinness World Records confirmed that the game broke 6 world records.
- The records broke include:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.