Fear of Failure
To find information on what the average individual would do if fear and fear of failure was not a factor in his/her life.
- According to the New Hope website, some of the common fears that the average person has includes fear of failure
, physical danger
, the future/the unknown
, finances, personal loss, and change.
- Fear can result in a person living a shadow of the lives that they were supposed to live.
- Fear has a negative effect on individuals. These negative effects include:
- Physical health - fear weakens the human immune system and can result to cardiovascular damage, gastrointestinal problems like ulcers and irritable bowel syndrome, and decreased fertility. Chronic fear can also result in accelerated ageing and in extreem cases, it can result in premature death.
- Memory - chronic fear can impair the formation of long-term memories and result in damage to specific areas of the brain such as the hippocampus. This effect can make it more difficult to regulate fear resulting in anxiousness.
- Brain processing and reactivity - fear can result in the interuption of brain processes that allow humans to regulate "motions, read non-verbal cues and other information presented to us, reflect before acting, and act ethically." Chronic fear can result in impaired decision-making leaving a person to be susceptible to intense emotions and impulsive reactions.
- Mental health - constant fear can also result to damages to mental health by leading to mental illnesses such as PTSD, clinical depression, and fatigues.
- According to the American Journal of Managed Care, the potential effects of fear include "immune system dysfunction
, endocrine system dysfunction
, autonomic nervous system alterations
, sleep/wake cycle disruption
, eating disorders
, and alterations in hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis."
- Additionally, chronic fear also has potential effects on emotional health. These effects include "dissociation from self
, unable to have loving feelings
, learned helplessness
, phobic anxiety
, mood swings
, and obsessive-compulsive thoughts."
- Without a fear of failure, people can enjoy true success professionally and in personal life.
- Interesting articles from reputable sources on fear and how to overcome fear include:
- 12 Fears You Need to Overcome to Succeed in Business and Life.
- The 10 biggest fears holding you back from success.
- Four Steps Successful People Take To Overcome Fear Of Failure.
- 14 Ways To Conquer Fear.
- How to Overcome Your Fear of Failure.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.