Freelance Journalism Benchmarks
To understand how part-time/freelance journalists are employed, including benchmarks for typical remuneration. Also, to obtain a list of platforms where such freelance journalists can be found.
- According to ZipRecruiter, the national average salary of a freelance journalist in the United States is $60,258 per year. In terms of monthly payments, these freelance journalists earn $5,022 on average.
- More specifically, they are paid an average wage of $29 per hour. The lowest earners receive about $7.93 hourly while top earners get paid $71.39 per hour.
- Typically, freelance journalists sell their services or works in different ways. Mostly they get paid either by the hour, by the day, or by the job.
- On Freelancer, clients can find and hire freelance journalists by filling out a form with details of the project they are working on. After completing and submitting the form, the client/employer receives a quote.
- On People Per Hour, clients can also search for any category of freelancers, including journalists. The search tool on the platform allows a user to search under several categories. For instance, if the journalist category is selected, a list of freelancers in that category is displayed. The client can then view individual profiles and hourly rates and determine who to contact for a project.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.