The Gap Inc.
Provide insights showing the total ad spend, breakdown of ad spend by platform, links of advertising campaigns from the past year, total number campaigns per year, percentage of brand's revenue that comes from international national sales, and how the brands advertising efforts and spend has changed over the past five years, for each of the following brands (all of which that are owned by Gap Inc.): Gap, Banana Republic, Athleta, Intermix, Hill City, and Janie & Jack.
- Gap's 2018 annual report notes that the company as a whole (Gap Inc.) has been increasingly relying on social media and digital advertising.
- The company notes that their operating expenses have been increasing over the past 3-4 years which is partially due to an increase in their advertising efforts.
- In 2018, Gap Inc.'s total advertising spend was $650 million.
- In 2017, Gap Inc.'s total advertising spend was $673 million.
- In 2016, Gap Inc.'s total advertising spend was $601 million.
Gap Global (Not Gap Inc. as a whole)
- U.S. 2018 revenues were $2.99 billion.
- Canada 2018 revenues were $379 million.
- Europe 2018 revenues were $589 million.
- Asia 2018 revenues were $1.089 billion.
- Other geo regions had a revenue of $113 million in 2018.
- Total revenues for Gap Global were $5.160 billion in 2018.
U.S. 2018 revenues were $2.09 billion. Canada 2018 revenues were $277 million. Europe 2018 revenues were $14 million. Asia 2018 revenues were $94 billion. Other geo regions had a revenue of $26 million in 2018. Total revenues for Gap Global were $2.456 billion in 2018.
- Gap Inc.'s annual report does not itemize their revenues for the following brands: Athleta, Intermix, Hill City, Janie & Jack. Instead, these revenues are lumped together under the companies 'other brands' category in their annual report revenue breakdowns. One exception is Janie & Jack, as this brand was acquired in March 2019, therefore, sales and data for this brand are not included in the company's 2018 report.
- Collectively, the company's revenue for 'other brands' in the U.S. in 2018 was $1.121 billion. In Canada, the 2018 revenue for other brands was $3 million. The company does not report any revenues for their other brands in Europe, Asia, or other regions. The total revenue for the 'other brands' category in 2018 was $1.124 billion.
RESULTS OF INITIAL RESEARCH
- It appears that Gap Inc. does not provide an official breakdown fo their advertising efforts/spend in terms of brandname or advertising channel.
- The majority of financial information that the Gap Inc. publishes references the company as a whole, but sometimes breaks down the data by their major brands (specifically Old Navy, Gap Global, and Banana Republic), however, they do not provide a detailed breakdown of their other smaller brands.
- Additional initial research for the ad spend of the other aforementioned brands across trusted media sites and company databases corroborates this lack of information.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.