Garments Per Category and Region
Identify the number of garments sold per category by geographic region, the number of garments manufactured per category by region, and the number of trims (all paper items attached to garments, like tags or price tickets) by category. Categories in the apparel industry are the following: top apparel, bottom apparel, childrenswear, accessories, belts, gloves, hats/caps, scarfs, ties, nightwear, underwear, hosiery, footwear, and sportswear.
Garments Sold per Category by Region
- Approximately 30% of the garments manufactured annually are not sold.
- The average American buys about 65 garments per year.
- The Chinese market purchased 40 billion apparel units in 2017. The US purchased 17 billion, India purchased 6 billion, Japan purchased 3.3 billion, Brazil purchased 2.3 billion, and Germany purchased 2.2 billion.
- In 2017, 2.1 billion units of clothing were sold in the UK and 253 million units of footwear.
Garments Manufactured per Category by Region,
- The fashion industry produces 150 billion garments annually.
- Approximately 40% of all garments are produced in China, Bangladesh, and India, and 20% are produced in nearby countries like Pakistan, Vietnam, Indonesia.
Number of Trims by Category
- India does not have trim suppliers and instead relies on Hong Kong.
- Indonesia has large trim suppliers.
- Euromonitor breaks down the global apparel industry into the following regions: Asia Pacific, Australasia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, Middle East & Africa, North America, and Western Europe.
Proposed next steps:
You need to be the project owner to select a next step.